Truth be told, I should have started this blog up long ago. When I finally sat down a couple of days ago to brainstorm and get on paper all the ideas that have been popping up in my head for this project, within a few minutes I had written over 20 ideas for posts and a dozen or more areas of my life I could tap into--even ideas for weekly features and games!
But, and this is a bit embarrassing, the thing that's been holding me back for months now has been...coming up with a title. Something catchy, maybe a cutesy "theme" with code names for members of my family? "Down the Yellow Brick Road," starring me as Dorothy of course...or maybe something more haute-culture, like "Diamonds and Dynamite (come in small packages)"--with cute little gem icons, a flashy background...
And it was all blah. Blah, blah, blah.
And so I sat on the project for months, praying for a spark of inspiration or imagination to come shining through the fog. I've tried to work on "the blog" probably ten times over these months, but each time I was stopped in my tracks by a feeling that if this was the best I could do on the *title*, the whole project was doomed to failure.
Today, I was struck by how often it happens that we are kept from doing what God is leading us to do, not by huge obstacles, but by small, seemingly insignificant considerations that are nonetheless quite effective at distracting us from the real task at hand. We put too much stock, perhaps, in looking good or having it all together, in being from the right background or knowing just the right word to say...and it keeps us from saying anything at all. We never get beyond the planning stages, never live out the dream God has placed in our hearts (however big or small) because we don't think we truly have what it takes.
And so...I have decided to let go of all of my perfectionistic qualms, and just get started. I have a working title. I might change it, I might keep it. But if you're reading this, then a flashy title isn't really what you're here for anyway. I hope I'll have things to share that are worth reading (and I hope I can make them interesting to boot). But I'm not going to be held back any longer by a fear of imperfection anymore--not on this blog, and I trust not in my life either. And I pray the same for you.
No comments:
Post a Comment